Incorrect URL. Please use the main navigation menu

Incorrect URL. Please use the main navigation menu

Incorrect URL. Please use the main navigation menu

Woodford County – Emergency Management


Following the response phase of a disaster, Woodford County will quickly transition into recovery phase the purpose of which is to restore the impacted area to its previous state. It differs from the response phase in its focus; recovery efforts are concerned with issues and decisions that must be made after immediate needs are addressed. Recovery efforts are primarily concerned with actions that involve rebuilding destroyed property and the repair of other essential infrastructure. Efforts should be made to "build back better", aiming to reduce the pre-disaster risks inherent in the community and infrastructure.

The Woodford County Emergency Operations Plan and National Response Framework dictates how the resources provided by the Homeland Security Act of 2002 will be used in recovery efforts. It is the Federal government that often provides the most technical and financial assistance for recovery efforts. Woodford County has worked closely in recent years with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Small Business Administration (SBA) to provide expedited services related to recovery.

Following a disaster you should find your family, get food and water, find a place to stay, apply for assistance, and cope with the disaster.

Individual Assistance

When disasters take place, the Individuals and Households Program (IHP) may provide money and services to eligible individuals in the declared disaster area when losses are not covered by insurance and property has been damaged or destroyed. Assistance for Individuals and Households may include cash grants for housing assistance and other needs assistance. Homeowners may use these grants for essential repairs to make their residence safe, secure and livable. IHP is designed to help you with critical expenses that cannot be covered in other ways. The programs will not cover all of your losses from damage to your property (home, personal property, household goods) that resulted from the disaster.

IHP is not intended to restore your damaged property to its condition before the disaster. In some cases, IHP may only provide enough money, up to the program limits, for you to return an item to service. IHP does not cover business-related losses that resulted from the disaster. By law, IHP cannot provide money to you for losses that are covered by insurance.

While some money is available through IHP, most disaster aid from the Federal government is in the form of loans from the Small Business Administration (SBA) that must be repaid. Applicants to IHP may be required to seek help from SBA first, before being considered for certain types of IHP help.

How do I find my family?

FEMA has established the National Emergency Family Registry and Locator System (NEFRLS), which has been developed to help reunite families who are separated during a disaster.

The NEFRLS system will enable displaced individuals the ability to enter personal information into a website database so that they can be located by others during a disaster.

The American Red Cross also maintains a database to help you find family. Contact the Frankfort Chapter of the American Red Cross for information at 502-223-1795. Do not contact the chapter in the disaster area.

How do I get food and water?

The American Red Cross and other volunteer agencies will provide you with food, water and clothing. Listen to your radio or watch local media for the location of the nearest volunteer agency facility. Woodford County will likely distribute flyers in the area in the event that traditional media sources are not the best method of sharing important and safety related information.

There are also sources of water in your home that you may have not thought of. For example, your hot water heater is an excellent source of water. Turn off the power or gas that heats your tank and let it cool. When you want water, place a container underneath and open the drain valve on the bottom of the tank.

How do I find a place to stay?

For immediate housing needs, the Frankfort Chapter of the American Red Cross and other volunteer agencies set up shelters for people who cannot return to their homes. Listen to your radio, watch local media, or pick up an emergency information flyer for the location of the nearest volunteer agency facility.

For health and space reasons, pets are not permitted in public emergency shelters. Contact the emergency management office or your local animal shelter or humane society to see if there is a shelter set-up to take pets in an emergency.

For those who have longer-term housing needs, FEMA offers several types of assistance, including services and grants to help people repair their homes and find replacement housing.

Public Assistance

The mission of the Public Assistance (PA) Program is to provide supplemental financial assistance to state, local governments and certain private non-profit organizations for response and recovery activities required as a result of a disaster. The PA Program provides assistance for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and permanent restoration of infrastructure.

The section 422 of the Stafford Act outlines the function of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) reimbursement program. The federal share of these expenses are typically not less than 75% of eligible costs. Reimbursements are available to all eligible organizations and communities which meet the eligibility requirements.

Coping with a disaster

The emotional toll that disaster brings can sometimes be even more devastating than the financial strains of damage and loss of home, business, or personal property.

Children and older adults are of special concern in the aftermath of disasters. Even individuals who experience a disaster "second hand" through exposure to extensive media coverage can be affected.

Woodford County can request a team of professional crisis counseling assistance for disasters and other events. You may also contact faith-based organizations, voluntary agencies, or professional counselors for counseling. Additionally, FEMA and Kentucky officials of the affected area may provide counseling services.